My Guitar

BigBear

Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:06 pm

goldleaf wrote:
Thanks for the info. I remember seeing a picture of a Tacoma recently where the soundhole was not under the strings but in the upper left portion of the top. I think they still may make that model. The one I played has a normal centered soundhole. I would like to hear what the offset soundhole Tacoma sounds like, it sure looked interesting!! I keep coming across these guitars that are no longer produced, but they are made out of top quality woods and craftsmanship is good, made in the USA what can I say, I'm talking about the Guild Contemporary series & Willy Porter Signature Model. I'm going broke buying humidifiers to put in the cases of these guitars cause I know they have been setting in a warehouse somewhere for who knows how long. Gary
I never believed in that de-humidifier stuff until my Taylor 314 cracked in the lower bout. It's mahogany which is susceptible to cracking anyway but it is a legitimate issue.

Tacoma, Guild, Ovation... they're all Fender guitars! Fender never could build a decent acoustic so they just bought some companies! Guild went through catastrophic changes that almost killed them. I owned a Guild 212 12 string that didn't impress me much. Heavy and dense and really hard to play. It would take a lot to get me to buy another Guild! They did take over Tacoma's production facility in Tacoma, Washington.

Rick

jakethedog

Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:32 pm

Oldest to newest Acoustic guitars
Takamine 12 string 1982

Taylor 614ce maple with spruce top excellent for any type of playing

Taylor K20ce all koa wood dreadnaught. cuts thru the mix great chording, strumming, detuning

Takamine EAN40c cedar top with solid mahogany back, laminate sides
very nice easy to play great for any style

BigBear

Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:59 pm

jakethedog wrote:
Takamine 12 string 1982

Taylor K20ce all koa wood dreadnaught. cuts thru the mix great chording, strumming, detuning

Jake- welcome to the program! Glad to have you! Please take a second and go to the Please Introduce Yourself thread and tell us a little about yourself! It's painless and we've all done it! :cheer:

So which of your guitars is your favorite? :cheer:

Chasplaya

Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:54 am

jakethedog wrote:
Takamine 12 string 1982

Welcome to TG jake, as bear suggests shoot over to the Please Intro yourself and spill the beans we've all done it. Nice selection of guitars, is the Tak 12 a lawsuit model? I have a 1995 ef400s 12 string its great.

goldleaf

Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:23 pm

Looking for input, what to buy?!! I have managed to sell 2 of the Guild "Contemporary Series" acoustic/electric w/ single cutaway's I recently acquired. The CV-1C w/ Florentine point cutaway, Indian Rosewood Sides & Back w/ Spruce top, Madagascar Rosewood fretboard & bridge - sold the 2nd day I had it on consignment at the local music store. NOW I'm looking for a small body (for playing seated on couch) w/ single cutaway all wood, Flamed Maple or Rosewood Back and sides, Spruce top, so far it's between Martin, Taylor and Larviee(sp)?. Price range US $2,000 - $2,500. Open to other guitars. Thanks in advance for the input. Gary

Chasplaya

Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:27 pm

Check out Cole Clarks, small range at moment, but some classy guitars available.

goldleaf

Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:02 pm

Chas,thanks for the info. Where are they made, if you know?? Gary

Chasplaya

Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:46 pm

goldleaf wrote:
Chas,thanks for the info. Where are they made, if you know?? Gary
Gary they are Australian made but are available now in most countries. There is a group dedicated to these guitars on TG.

Jack Johnson uses them!

Heres a link to the company site which should then give links to other countries and retailers.

http://www.coleclarkguitars.com/index.asp

BigBear

Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:21 pm

goldleaf wrote:
Looking for input, what to buy?!! I have managed to sell 2 of the Guild "Contemporary Series" acoustic/electric w/ single cutaway's I recently acquired. The CV-1C w/ Florentine point cutaway, Indian Rosewood Sides & Back w/ Spruce top, Madagascar Rosewood fretboard & bridge - sold the 2nd day I had it on consignment at the local music store. NOW I'm looking for a small body (for playing seated on couch) w/ single cutaway all wood, Flamed Maple or Rosewood Back and sides, Spruce top, so far it's between Martin, Taylor and Larviee(sp)?. Price range US $2,000 - $2,500. Open to other guitars. Thanks in advance for the input. Gary
Gary- this is really a personal choice and subject to intense debate! I could start a war answering this!

I am a huge fan of both Larrivee and Taylor. They are very similar in design and construction but sound somewhat different. They both have spectacular necks on them. I own a custom Larrivee L-10e which is their propriatary shape based on a modifed dreadnaught. It has a smaller upper bout and has a real sweet pure tone. Not as bright or as forward as my Taylors probably due to the Englemann spruce top.

I have two Taylor's (one is a 12 string 855). The other is a 314ce which is a Grand Auditorium size with a Venetian (rounded) cutaway. This is a great size, much smaller than a dreadnaught but still more substantial than a parlor or Grand Concert size, both of which may be what you are looking for. I'm a very big guy and I love this size and shape!

Here's the rub, neither Larrivee or Taylor are reachable in the price range, style and woods you are looking for. My 314ce now lists for $2,238 and it now has a sitka top and sapele sides and back. My Larrivee L-10 lists for $4,000 (Englemann and rosewood). So what you are looking for with either of these companies is going to list for upwards of $3,500. Martin is going to be the same problem.

Larrivee: http://www.larrivee.com/instruments/acoustics/index.php

Taylor: http://taylorguitars.com/guitars/pricelist.pdf

In this economy, I would definately seek out a used instrument unless you just have to have a new one. There are lots of people who simply can't afford to keep an expensive musical instrument and the values are unbelieveable! It's a shame to capitalize on others misfortune but someone is going to but their guitar, might as well be you. I got both my little Taylor and my Les Paul from eBay (but both were from guitar shops with real street addresses). Both were better than advertised but I spent a long time researching and watching the bidding.

Let me know if I can help you and good luck! It's pretty exciting to buy a new guitar!! :cheer:

Chasplaya

Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:32 pm

The Cole Clark is comparable to Taylors at least in manufacturing , but the Cole Clark FL1AC comes in at under $2000.00 according to Premier Guitars review. The company has been around a short time since 2001 but already they are making large inroads to the quality end of the guitar market. PLus if you are also concerned with the environment these are all made from sustainable native Australian woods.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic