Acoustic Guitar Soundboard

quincy451

Thu May 14, 2009 1:58 pm

Why not just put a Satin finish on the top. May not be the look you are going for. But neveer heard of any tonal implications from that. I know heavy coats of laquer also have a bad reputation sound wise.

Might look around youtube. The other day I did find a quy who had made his own guitar. It didn't sound too bad. But he did go into some of the detials of how he did it. Where it made something and where he bought and assembled premade parts.

Don't know the channel name right now.

goldleaf

Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:41 pm

Soundboard questions cont. since there is already a thread I thought I'd use this one instead of starting a new one. On the last question a Nitocellulose finish is very thin but gives the protection you might want. NEW QUESTION -- Soundboards, I read about different types of Spruce, Western Redwood Spruce which my luthier said Martin used to use in the 50's?? until it was logged out. Now 2nd growth is becoming available, Redwood Spruce planted in the 40's & 50's. Also I've read about AA and AAA Solid Sitka Spruce. Anyone know what the "AA" & "AAA" grading system refers to??? and beside Englemann Spruce, what other types are there and what are their characteristics and quality for a Soundboard for acoustic guitars?? Gary

AndyT

Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:52 pm

Grade A, AA, and AAA are differing qualities of wood. How many imperfections, weird grain patterns, holes, other damage. The more 'A's, the cleaner and more perfect the piece of wood is.

rcsnydley

Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:02 pm

goldleaf wrote:
Soundboard questions cont. since there is already a thread I thought I'd use this one instead of starting a new one. On the last question a Nitocellulose finish is very thin but gives the protection you might want. NEW QUESTION -- Soundboards, I read about different types of Spruce, Western Redwood Spruce which my luthier said Martin used to use in the 50's?? until it was logged out. Now 2nd growth is becoming available, Redwood Spruce planted in the 40's & 50's. Also I've read about AA and AAA Solid Sitka Spruce. Anyone know what the "AA" & "AAA" grading system refers to??? and beside Englemann Spruce, what other types are there and what are their characteristics and quality for a Soundboard for acoustic guitars?? Gary
Gary,

Beside Sitka and the more expensive Englemann Spruce there is also European or silver spruce, the spruce of choice for makers of classical guitars, shares a number of characteristics with Engelmann spruce.

Eastern red spruce, also known as Adirondack or Appalachian spruce, was the primary topwood used by American manufacturers before World War II. Like Sitka, it has strong fundamentals, but it also exhibits a more complex overtone content and have the highest volume.

Master grade is the highest grade possible for tonewood with every criteria used scoring in the highest range. Perfect or near-perfect quartering (+/- 2º), very stiff, no apparent run-out, superbly uniform color, grain lines are tight (above 24 per inch) and evenly spaced with a very even and pleasing progression from the tight side to the loose side, no knot shadow is evident. 100% clear with no defect allowed.

AAA grade is very close to master grade. Usually down graded for a slight visual feature that is not quite perfect or immediately evident. The most common down grade feature is grain spacing that is not as exceptionally even as that found in master grade. Very well quartered (+/- 4º), stiff across the grain and no apparent run-out. In a first pass evaluation it is difficult to distinguish a AAA from a master grade and a close evaluation of the criteria and comparison with a master grade is often required to understand the slightly lower grade. 100% clear with no defect allowed. Very limited acceptance of slight color variation. Tight grain (18 – 24 per inch).

AA tops present a very good first impression with very good visual qualities and very good tone structure features. The color is virtually uniform, with occasional light flame allowed. Grain uniformity is pleasing to the eyes (14+ per inch), the boards have firmness across the grain, only slight and localized deviation in the grain is allowed and run-out is minimal. 100% Clear. They are not AAA grade boards for subtle features, primarily slight unevenness of grain. AA is normally the “production” grade purchased by larger manufacturers.

A grade tonewood with acceptable quality in a lower price range. Less perfectly quartered (90 +/- 10 º). Irregular grain spacing (10+ per inch), with slight wiggle or curving allowed. More variation in color allowed as long as the difference is not high contrast.

B grade tonewood may have small defects (pitch-pockets, grain twist, pin knots) allowed as long as they are not structurally degrading. Less perfectly quartered (90 +/- 10 º). Strong , assymetrical color patterns may be observed in this grade. Irregular grain pattern and spacing.

Ric

goldleaf

Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:09 pm

Andy, so the A AA AAA grading system applies to all types of tonewoods not just spruce or cedar for Soundboards (tops) of acoustic guitars?? I have just never seen it used with Maple or Rosewood but maybe it is just not as important to advertise the quality of the Side and Back woods. What ya think?? Gary

goldleaf

Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:24 pm

Rick, what an answer!!! I'll refer back to that one often. You mentioned Eastern Red Spruce. Is this the Red Spruce grown in Washington and Canada that my Luthier mentioned that Martin used to use more often when availability was greater?? Also do those grain and other specifications refer to Indian and Madagascar Redwood and Flamed Maple?? Gary

AndyT

Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:44 pm

Gary,
Ric has really given a much more complete answer. Thanks Ric!
As far as I know, the ratings apply to all tonewoods, no matter what they are used for.

goldleaf

Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:06 pm

Andy, Yea, I'd say he gave a pretty complete answer. I'll have to read it a couple more times to get all the info. Its great to have access to all the expertise on TG. Thanks to you and everybody else who takes the time to help others. It's appreciated. Gary

goldleaf

Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:23 pm

Ric, Thanks again for your most excellent answer to grading of woods. After re-reading your answer I have another question. I can understand how the grain closeness and appearance would make a big difference in selecting woods for building wood products for the house as a table, china cabinet etc. vs. guitar sides and back. What I'm asking is-- does the grade match up w/ the sound of the wood.Gary

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic