My Guitar

Chasplaya

Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:35 pm

I just put up a link to the Premier review on the TG group for Cole Clark, very interesting reading scoring 5 / 5

goldleaf

Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:44 pm

Chas & BB & others, thanks for the info on guitar choices. I kinda figured my question might start an exchange, didn't want a war, but understand there is a lot of personal preference involved. I did notice that there was a lack of mention of Martin. I've noticed in general there is more discussion around Taylor especially but also Cole Clark and Larrivee. Think it is just because Martin is old news or these other guitars are equal quality for less $$$. Also is my price range $2,000 - $2500 to low and maybe I need to sell another guitar and raise my range?? You said your Larravee with Rosewood listed for $4,000. What could you but it for Street Price? Thanks for your time and info. Gary

goldleaf

Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:16 pm

Bear, you mentioned you have both a Taylor 314ce and a Larrivee L-10 w/Engelmann Spruce & Rosewood. That combo of wood is one I'm looking at although I know the Rosewood is more expensive. How would you compare the sound between the two guitars as far as loudness, sustain, tone and any other sound explanations you notice??? I've have a Guild that has AAA Solid Sitka Spruce top and Flamed Maple S&B. I also have a Guild "contemporary series) same body style flourintine cutaway, it has a Spruce top and Indian Rosewood S&B. The Flamed Maple seems to have more voice and sustain where the Rosewood has a darker tone. What do you find comparing your two guitars??? Gary

goldleaf

Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:36 pm

Bear, I just gotta know, You have a Larrivee L-10 w/W Englemann Top and Rosewood S&B. How does is sound compared to your Taylor 314. You can wear the water buffalo hat for a week if you tell me. Which is your daily ax, is one a real favorite over the other. Gary

BigBear

Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:16 pm

goldleaf wrote:
Bear, I just gotta know, You have a Larrivee L-10 w/W Englemann Top and Rosewood S&B. How does is sound compared to your Taylor 314. You can wear the water buffalo hat for a week if you tell me. Which is your daily ax, is one a real favorite over the other. Gary
Sorry Gary, I don't know how I missed this post. Okay, here goes.

The Larrivee is the only guitar I've ever owned with an Englemann spruce top. As I've said before, I custom ordered this guitar with a 12 string width neck (1-15/16") because of my big hands. I also got the Robin Hood headstock which is pretty cool. You see the headstock in my pictures under my profile.

After waiting about 6 moths for the guitar to arrive I was bitterly disappointed in the sound. It was flat and dead. I was so bummed out that I spent that much money (back then about $3,000US now about $4,800 as I recall). I couldn't take it back because it was custom and most people don't want the wider neck.

But I kept playing it hoping I'd eventually not feel like such a fool. And over time the sound got better and better. I thought maybe it was the strings but they were the same ones I'd been using. It finally occurred to me that it was the Englemann top! As it started to season it got better and better. Now it sounds beautiful with a very rich tone. Good balance, great smooth bass, not as bright or as forward as the Taylor 710 I owned at the time but still very crisp and clear.

Frankly, the 314c doesn't sound as good as the L-10. But the Larrivee costs 3X what the Taylor costs. It's not a fair comparison!! The Larrivee is closer to the 900 series Taylor than the 300. My 314 has Sitka top and mahogany sides and back. I think the new 314's use sapele which is similar to mahogany. There is no question that Englemann and Indian rosewood sound better than sitka and mahogany. Interestingly, I didn't specify Englemann when I ordered it.

That being said, I think the 314 sounds great. It is my daily guitar. Basically, I use the 314 for strumming songs and I use the L-10 for fingerstyle becuase it is much easier to fingerpick. The 314 is so fun to play I tend to reach for it instinctively.

I don't know if this helps but I will say one thing. I'd buy the Taylor again in a heartbeat because of the quality and the price. And it sounds great right "out of the box". I'd have to think about buying the Larrivee again just because it is so expensive, took two years to season to sound beautiful and I ain't that good!! LOL! :cheer:

goldleaf

Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:55 pm

Bear, thanks for the input. I have a flamed maple S&B w/ AAA Solid Sitka Spruce top and it really sounds great. I also have the same body style w/ spruce top and Indian Rosewood S&B. I have wondered if what you hear when you play a new guitar is a real representation of what it will sound like in the future (long run). I think the Rosewood may take a little longer than maple to open up. The spruce top takes awhile also. It really does make it harder to know what you want without hearing a guitar's wood combo after it has aged and been played for awhile. My guitars are about 2 years old but never been played so they haven't really opened up yet. Bear, how do you compare the necks of the Taylor and Larrivee for playability, my understanding is the Taylor has a neck similar to an electric guitar in that they are easy to play. Is it the same with the Larrivee. Gary

mike_t57

Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:08 am

I currently play a new Taylor 816ce I just purchased about a week ago. Prior to that, I played a Larrivee SD-60, which I still own. But really couldn't get use to the 1 7/8" nut width. I also own a vintage 1977 Larrivee L-19 Inlay. And last I own a Seagull.

Mike

regisalumni

Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:50 pm

Took a picture today of my guitars

1. Yamaha LL16 on left (removed the ugly black PVC pickguard)
2. Yamaha SLG100S Silent guitar (great for quiet practice with headphones0
3. Martin Sigma six string dreadnought from the late 70s. Still plays and sounds good for a 30+ year old guitar. This was when Martin still made these in Japan and they were solid wood.

Regards,

Jim H.

Lavallee

Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:01 pm

I have 19 guitars but not one acoustic. I know, I know, I'm going to get one real soon I just haven't figured out what I want yet. Right now for my acoustic type playing I have been using one of my hollow body electric guitars. It's my hope to get an acoustic by the weekend. I should trade in some of my electrics to get one but I have a hard time parting with any of them.

Mike

goldleaf

Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:15 pm

Mike, what woods is that Taylor 816ce made of and what type of finish does the top have, Natural or sunburst? and do you have any Taylor inlay in the fretboard?? Must be a nice Ax an probably set you back a few sheckels. Thanks, Gary

Reg, that 30 year old martin dreadnaught must have an awesome sound after the wood aging for so long, although I guess you have to play it also to get the wood to really open up, what woods is that Martin made of?? Gary

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic