On The Beat - Episode 511 - Weekly Guitar Video News Wrap Up July 31st, 2020

tgjameela

Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:35 pm

Hi Everyone,

The Weekly Wrap Up has been released.

Hope you enjoy!

https://totallyguitars.com/blog/guitar- ... 31st-2020/

A couple weeks ago we were listening to a radio show a relative does on KTUH in Honolulu, Sunday mornings at 9:00 on the West Coast. He played something that grabbed my attention and more of the story is in the opening segment today. The gist of it is I recommend you check out an album by Bob McAlpine called Only A Fool Would Play That, available at iTunes and CD Baby. Bob was kind enough to send me some of his Steely Dan arrangements and I started today playing a bit of Deacon’s Blues, which has a ways to go before it is ready for prime time.

This Week’s Stuff-
I am on one path to continue with solo arrangements of Beatles tunes and this week’s addition was And I Love Her, which should be pretty accessible to most students who have some instrumental experience. We also had a real throw back with a lesson on Blue Suede Shoes, as Elvis brought this Carl Perkins tune into our culture in 1956. Vanessa brought us another Keane tune, Can’t Stop Now, which also led to a new Keane 5-Pack. The other new pack was Fingerpicking Beatles Volume 1, which included the recent And I Love Her along with Here, There And Everywhere, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, In My Life and Your Mother Should Know.

From The Forum-
Great suggestions for new lessons, along with a few new introductions, which I really appreciate, especially when they come with some personal background and lesson requests. Keep them coming!

The recent response that connected Davy Graham and Jimmy Page sent me down a path improvising in D Mixolydian, which brought up mention of Fairport Convention, Sandy Denny and Richard Thompson.

We had a couple new features rolled out on the Forum, including a Google Search and Simple Mentions. Be sure to check them out.

Coming Soon-
More from Elvis, Roxette, and the recent request for Dun Ringill by Jethro Tull, along with Fretboard Fundamentals and Prince Revealed packs.

Catch up again in August,

Neil

thereshopeyet

Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:51 pm

Please Mr Postman.jpg
Please Mr Postman.jpg (80.89 KiB) Viewed 7455 times

:o

unclewalt

Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:20 am

I've been doing a deep dive on Steely Dan for the past couple of weeks as I work on Max's great "Any Major Dude" lesson. I've looked for an instrumental version of that one, but haven't found anything good.. It's beyond my skill level to come up with one of my own. Lesson, maybe?

The McAlpine album doesn't include that one, sadly, but the album is on Apple Music, I just discovered. So I assume also Spotify, etc. That will be the soundtrack to my domestic chores today.
Last edited by unclewalt on Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

unclewalt

Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:10 am

"Our age?" You're 10 years older than me, brah! ;-)

I actually only vaguely recognized what you were playing there, and I don't think I can pull it.

willem

Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:44 pm

64? Without the big stretch,ough!! :P

tgjameela

Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:19 pm

A fellow member shared this comment and history with us, thought it would be a great to add here to this thread. We appreciate you writing in J.T.!

Thanks. Now i know why all the Aloha shirts! I suspected as much. The last male in my family that will carry on the
family name is in Honolulu. My divorced great grandma moved there in 20's with 2 boys. She returned to west coast with one and the other stayed. Rest is history. Deacon blue is one of my all time favorite arrangements. On the album
just the timing of everything. I saw a guy on the web doing a fantastic arrangement of it on a 'classical guitar and said
i'd need some serious time and help to pull that off. Thanks for the tip on the album and yours and everyone else's work there at TG. Will buy this. Title say's it all! J.T.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic