Richard Thompson

If you know of a song that you think would make a good lesson, here is the place to bring it up. As of May, 2015 we have over 800 song lessons but are always on the lookout for more. Be sure to point out what about the song makes it a good candidate, unique or unusual, a particular part that interests you, or just that you think a bunch of members would enjoy it. An embedded video would be helpful as well.
chuckv

Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:11 pm

There are many amazing Richard Thompson songs spanning a very long career and a variety of styles. I leave it to you to decide what would be best for this site!

His hybrid technique of using a flat pick on the base strings while finger picking the others would be a great skill to work on.

Thanks.

cathybelle

Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:26 pm

Second your request for RT!

unclewalt

Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:56 pm

I've been wanting to learn 1952 Vincent Black Lightning for years. Of course, I would assume it would be a tough lesson to put together (though not "Clap,"-tough) but that's still my vote.

unclewalt

Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:02 am

(heh. i wrote the above before hearing you mention it on the news video. Do it! Do it!)

TGNeil

Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:42 am

Hey Walt,

That one is definitely in the running and one I have considered for years. I'm sure you'll be happy to know that, once I got Clap off my chest and started thinking of the next big instrumental, this and I Am The Light Of The World were on that list. Something along those lines will happen in the near future.

Neil

P.S. And any suggestions on easier songs of Richard's are appreciated as well.

unclewalt

Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:30 am

Yeah, I'd like both of those. Also been waiting for "Light of this 'World.' There are lessons and tabs out there, but none that I've found are quite right, especially if we're talking about the Jorma version (which I actually like better).

cathybelle

Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:13 pm

"When the Spell is Broken" might be good one to do...it has lovely guitar work, but at the level that might be achievable by us mere mortals. Bonnie Raitt's version is worth listening to as well.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic