New Strings

Chuck McGourty

Wed May 06, 2009 11:46 am

I am a big believer in coated strings, mostly because I dread changing strings every 4-6 weeks. I have tried them all and my preference is a toss up between Cleartone and D'Addario Coated Phosphor Bronze. They both last much longer, and as claimed sound warm, bright and balanced. You can save some money by ordering them on-line from Musician's Friend.PS- Not so sure about the finger squeaking I kinda like that sound myself.

bhudson

Wed May 06, 2009 3:35 pm

Hi I havent been playing very long, only about 6 months. My first strings were Elixers ($23 CDN) and they lasted quite a wile and the sound was amazing. My buddy who plays 2 gigs a week uses them. I just wanted to try some different strings and threw on a set of Martians ($12 CDN) They lasted a few weeks and had to be tuned allot. I have had a set of John Pearce ($14 CDN) strings and love them. They have a nice bright sound and I have very little tuning if any each time I pick up my Guitar.

beh35678260

Wed May 06, 2009 5:19 pm

bhudson wrote:
I have had a set of John Pearce ($14 CDN) strings and love them. They have a nice bright sound and I have very little tuning if any each time I pick up my Guitar.
I use John Pearse 600L's and love them. I've also recently tried a few sets of Rotosound Country Golds (which now go by a different name). The Rotosounds are interesting--the wound strings are unwound where they contact the saddle. This "piano" string concept is supposed to allow the wound strings to vibrate more freely as only the core is touching the saddle. As my guitar's action has gotten higher recently as it ages the Rotosounds lower the action a bit making it like it used to be. I will have to sand the saddle down a bit before I go back to regular strings.

guitrs8

Wed May 06, 2009 11:46 pm

Guitarmom wrote:
I am interested in hearing comments about Elixer strings. I have read the info on their site but would like to hear some feedback from those who have used them. I am going to try the Acoustic Guitar PolyWeb strings on my Martin D28. (currently use Martin FX 80/20 Bronze)

1. Do they last longer?

2. Do they have the same clean sound as uncoated strings?

3. Have you found they reduce finger squeaking?
I am a big fan of the Elixer products! I started off using the Polyweb strings, but found out with time, that I like the Nanoweb strings just a bit better. I use them on my Taylor K14, and am very pleased with the brightness, clarity and overall "ring" that I get when playing with them. I'm also very happy with how they seem to stay in tune for longer periods of time. Give 'em a try...I'm sure you'll like them too! B)

Guitarmom

Thu May 07, 2009 6:59 am

Many Thanks!

BigBear

Fri May 08, 2009 1:14 am

Chuck McGourty wrote:
I have tried them all and my preference is a toss up between Cleartone and D'Addario Coated Phosphor Bronze. They both last much longer, and as claimed sound warm, bright and balanced.
Right on Chuck! I started out with Elixirs and for the price was pretty underwhelmed. The Nanowebs are much better but for the added cost I love the Cleartones. My favorite strings of all time are regular D'Addario Phosphor Bronze (.012) and their coated strings continue their quality.

They definately both last longer than regular phosphor bronze.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic